Test of Legal English Skills (TOLES) Advanced
Level 3 Legal English exam
This exam builds on the language skills and knowledge gained at the Higher level and is the highest of the three TOLES exams. It measures a candidate’s skills against a native English-speaking lawyer.
TOLES Advanced syllabus
The aim of the Advanced Exam is to give lawyers (whose first language is not English) the skills they need to work in a commercial legal environment at the very highest level.
The focus of all of the TOLES exams is absolute accuracy, a strong legal vocabulary and familiarisation with modern legal style.
1. Select the green "Apply for this exam" button
2. Complete and submit your application
3. We will contact you to confirm your application and take payment
Please note we must receive your application 28 working days in advance of the exam date.
Dates for 2017:
26 January, 23 March, 22 June, 24 August, 23 November
Closing date for applications:
28 working days in advance of exam date
Legal reading, writing and drafting, knowledge of register and business idiom
Practical reading, writing and drafting skills in authentic legal situations
Level of English required:
Upper intermediate – advanced (CEFR C1/C2)
The maximum score possible is 500
TOLES Advanced (with grade explanation) - sent out six weeks after the test. A four-week fast-track option is available for an extra £40.
- International law students
- Non-native English-speaking lawyers
- Training materials: ‘The Lawyer’s English Language Coursebook’
- Study of commercial contracts and standard terms and conditions is recommended
- Practice papers – available from TOLES bookshop
- Professional Language Solutions – one-to-one intensive Legal English course
Apply for this exam
+44 (0)20 7689 1900
Quick enquiry form