Test of Legal English Skills (TOLES) Foundation
Level 1 Legal English exam
This exam is the recommended starting point in legal English training for international law students. It may also be appropriate for more experienced lawyers who are not familiar with professional legal English.
It is intended as a test of working lawyers’ commercial legal English skills, rather than a test of their academic legal English skills.
TOLES Foundation syllabus
The aim of the Foundation exam is to ensure learners are equipped with a strong basis upon which to build the skills required by employers.
The focus of all of the TOLES exams is absolute accuracy, a strong legal vocabulary and familiarisation with modern legal style.
1. Select the green "Apply for this exam" button
2. Complete and submit your application
3. We will contact you to confirm your application and take payment
Please note we must receive your application 28 working days in advance of the exam date.
Dates for 2017:
26 January, 23 March, 22 June, 24 August, 23 November
Closing date for applications:
28 working days in advance of exam date
Legal reading and writing
Practical legal vocabulary in authentic situations; consolidation of basic grammar
Level of English required:
Elementary-advanced (CEFR A2 with high legal vocabulary)
The maximum score possible is 100
TOLES Foundation (with grade explanation) are sent out six weeks after the test. A four-week fast-track option is available for an extra £40.
- International law students
- Lawyers who are not familiar with professional legal English
- Training materials: ‘The Lawyer’s English Language Coursebook’
- Additional grammar study recommended
- Practice papers – available from TOLES bookshop
- Professional Language Solutions – one-to-one intensive Legal English course
Apply for this exam
+44 (0)20 7689 1900
Quick enquiry form