Test of Legal English Skills (TOLES) Higher
Level 2 Legal English exam
This exam builds on the language skills and knowledge gained at Foundation level. It sits between the Foundation and Advanced exams.
TOLES Higher syllabus
The aim of the Higher exam is to further develop students’ skills and knowledge gained at the Foundation level. Students will be tested in a series of very challenging tasks.
The focus of all of the TOLES exams is absolute accuracy, a strong legal vocabulary and familiarisation with modern legal style. At this level students should pay special attention to areas such as collocation, preposition and legal terminology.
1. Select the green "Apply for this exam" button
2. Complete and submit your application
3. We will contact you to confirm your application and take payment
Please note we must receive your application 28 working days in advance of the exam date.
Dates for 2017:
26 January, 23 March, 22 June, 24 August, 23 November
Closing date for applications:
28 working days in advance of exam date
Legal reading and writing (90 minutes);
Legal listening (30-45 minutes)
Practical reading, writing and listening skills in authentic legal situations
Level of English required:
Intermediate – upper intermediate (CEFR B2)
The maximum score possible is 100
TOLES Higher (with grade explanation) - sent out six weeks after the test. A four-week fast-track option is available for an extra £40.
- International law students
- Lawyers who are not familiar with professional legal English
- Training materials: ‘The Lawyer’s English Language Coursebook’
- Additional grammar study recommended
- Practice papers – available from TOLES bookshop
- Professional Language Solutions – one-to-one intensive Legal English course
Apply for this exam
+44 (0)20 7689 1900
Quick enquiry form